Sadye Katz 1902-1986

Sadye Katz (1902-1986)

Image

Sadye Katz and her husband, Mack, came to Fort Lauderdale in 1924 from New York (via Daytona Beach) and were one of the earliest Jewish families in Fort Lauderdale. After opening and operating Ft. Lauderdale’s first women’s clothing store, Mack’s, from 1924-1946, the couple opened Nautical Beachwear Shop, which they ran for a decade.

The dynamic duo were also founders of the Fort Lauderdale Hebrew Congregation, which later became Temple Emanu-El. In addition to assisting Mack in operating the store, Sadye was also active in community affairs, starting the first Jewish Sunday School in 1931 and during World War II, worked with the Military Affairs Committee to transform the old Pioneer Department Store building into the Servicemen’s Center for the thousands of military personnel who were stationed at Fort Lauderdale. Following the war, she was instrumental in raising funds for the War Memorial Auditorium (opened in 1950) and the Holy Cross Hospital (opened in 1955).

{In 1986, shortly before her death, Sadye was one of fourteen Broward County pioneer women who were featured in the 27-minute video “Women in Broward County: A Legacy of Courage and Care.”